Reply To: Assembly experience RE: Niryo One v2.0 robot2018-11-20T06:17:04+00:00

Forums Niryo One Showcase your Niryo One project Assembly experience RE: Niryo One v2.0 robot Reply To: Assembly experience RE: Niryo One v2.0 robot

duck
Participant

Hello again everyone,

Here are some more detailed notes about my experience assembling a Niryo One v2.0 robot. These notes are intended for several audiences: (1) people who might be interested in assembling a robot themselves (to give an idea of some of the challenges others have faced), (2) those of you who have already assembled a Niryo One robot (to give you an opportunity to share your own experiences whether they are similar or different from my own), and (3) to the staff of Niryo to help improve the assembly procedures and to make them easier for others.

TIME

The diagrams in the assembly instructions in the Google Slides ESTIMATED that the five steps of the assembly procedure should take about 4 hours. The ACTUAL time that it took me to follow the five steps, not including preparation and review of parts before actual assembly, was closer to 8 hours. Maybe I’m a slow poke!

Here’s a detailed breakdown:

STEP 1 — Assembling the Base; ESTIMATED: 40 MIN; ACTUAL: 100 MIN
STEP 2 — Assembling the Shoulder; ESTIMATED: 60 MIN; ACTUAL: 90 MIN
STEP 3 — Assembling the Elbow; ESTIMATED: 60 MIN; ACTUAL: 120 MIN
STEP 4 — Assembling the Wrist; ESTIMATED: 40 MIN; ACTUAL: 65 MIN
STEP 5 — Assembling the Drawer and Final Steps; ESTIMATED: 40 MIN; ACTUAL: 65 MIN

Building a robot is a bit like climbing a mountain. That’s partly why I’ve named the robots that I have after mountains in the area where I live that I have climbed. Let me use this analogy a bit more to provide some concrete recommendations:

1. Take your time. Don’t rush.
  2. Preparation is key. Watch the video for a step in its entirety before you commence the assembly work on that step. Lay out only the parts that you will need for that step on the table before starting.
  3. Aim to complete each of the five steps in a single day. Sometimes it may not be possible to complete a step in a day. Don’t worry, that’s fine, but it’s better not to be overly ambitious. I would recommend avoiding trying to complete two or more steps on the same day even if you feel like you are on a roll. I tried to complete the last two steps in a single day. When I encountered a simple problem with the 3D printed parts in the base in Step 5, I was too tired to effectively resolve it and had to leave the finishing touches for another day.
  4. Make sure to get ample rest along the way. Drink fluids, make sure that you are physically comfortable.
  5. Consider the unboxing activity as the first step to tackle. Clear a table and lay all the components out sorted by category (electrical, mechanical, 3D printed parts, etc.). Compare what you have received with the components in the full detailed BOM on Google Drive. In my case, there were several missing and damaged components, but the staff at Niryo was very kind to send them to me promptly and it didn’t end up delaying the assembly, because I was able to start and the missing parts arrived just when I needed them.
  6. Post photos and questions here on the forums in the troubleshooting section if you get stuck. The chances are high that someone else faced the same issue in their assembly work and would be happy to offer suggestions; it might take a few hours or even a day or two though for someone to see your post, so be patient and try to make your post as soon as possible after you encounter a problem to allow for enough time for people to respond.
  7. You will need some basic tools and supplies in addition to the tools included in the kit. For example you will need a little bit of all-purpose grease (as used for bicycles and automobiles). You’ll also need some pliers, wire cutters, sand paper or files, normal screwdrivers, etc. I’ve posted a photo in the Google Drive directory mentioned below at the bottom of this post showing the extra tools I made use of during the assembly.

HANDLING ARTIFACTS FROM 3D PRINTING

The Niryo One is the first useful object or machine that I have personally encountered that is made out of 3D-printed parts. I live in an area that has many factories that produce the factory machinery to make injected plastic parts and, in general, 3D printing tends not to be particularly well regarded in my area. I have also worked on projects in this industry many years and perhaps some of the bias against 3D printing has rubbed off on me, but Niryo One is definitely changing my opinion.

That said, I am somewhat persnickety about PLA threads that droop down on overhanging surfaces and prevent easy insertion of screws and mating with other parts.

I would recommend that people do an initial careful inspection of the 3D-printed parts that they have received (or printed themselves) and remove any glaring artifacts. Some examples and additional detail.

1. Small threads around the fan mount inside the base caused a lot of noise on my first robot; it sounded like a lawn mower! Cutting them away made things very quiet.
  2. When I was assembling the second robot (v2.0), I was confronted with a problem in Step 5 where the Drawer wouldn’t close without bulging— you can see that the Drawer isn’t completely closed at the end of Step 5 of my video; there is also a photo in the Google Drive. I ended up having to file around the semicircles on the blue PLA of the base where the black Air Routing parts are inserted on the side in order to get the Air Routing parts to insert properly and for the rail on which the Drawer sits to slide smoothly.
  3. I almost wish that I had the foresight to install the Air Routing parts and test sliding of the empty Drawer before completing Step 1 because it would have been alot easier to work with these parts before the full weight of all the parts of the arm had been assembled, but I understand why Niryo may have preferred to suggest that the Air Routing parts only be installed in Step 5.
  4. Sometimes the PLA threads don’t cause any problem and I’m fining leaving them. In many cases taking them away might lead to more problems than leaving them be would cause. Once you remove one layer sometimes you find what’s underneath is worse, so I would recommend to take a cautious and conservative approach to the removal of these artifacts. I find the threads on the overhang which form the flat top of the Base asthetically pleasing but they are in fact loose (not completely integrated into the structure of the base). On the other hand, they don’t cause any mechanical or structural problems and the texture that they create is a fun aspect of the design of the robot.

I have taken some photos of the parts that I received, the extra tools that I used, some of the 3D printing defects that I encountered and some other aspects of the assembly process. You can view them here.

I am going to stop here because this post is already too long, but I will endeavor to post some more notes as questions and queries for Niryo about some issues that I encountered during the assembly process.

Please feel free to post comments in this thread with your own experiences and/or any questions you might have.