Forums Niryo One How to… Allowing to change your Niryo One due to an Open source based robot

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

Currently, I am doing research about an open source based robot arm like Niryo and uArm, etc.
    Among them,I plan to order a set of Niryo One for my research as a reference model soon.

FYI, I want to have a robot which meets the following features.
    – working like a gantry type robot arm not the desktop based one
    – changing 6 DOFs to 3 DOFs to reduce the weight from 3.2kg to 2.0 kg
    – increasing a reach limit from 440 mm to 750mm
    – increasing a payload from 0.3kg to 0.5kg
    – increasing a gripping size from 125 mm/105gram to 350 mm/350gram
    – reducing some level of an operating noise

As a maker, can I try to change the features because Niryo One is built based on the philosophy of open source?

In your technical specification, I found that 3 Niryo steppers are required for a complete assembly. But when I watch your video, only one Raspberry Pi shield board is required. Please let me know it.

quote from your technical spec.
    Hardware
    Raspberry pi 3 X 1
    + 3 x NiryoSteppers
    + 2 x Dynamixel XL – 430
    + 1 x Dynamixel XL – 320

If my project is going well, then I need to build more robots with your products. In that case, your company only sells a minimal kit of the Niryo to your clients. It means that a minimal kit is a maker kit?

Thanks in advance for your precious comments.

Edouard Renard
    Keymaster

Hi @billygo,

Your project sounds very nice!

However, what you’re trying to do is so far away from Niryo One, it’s a total different robot. I’d advise you to start either from scratch, or from another type of robot.

A few tips:

– Maybe what you need is a simple cartesian robot, with 3 translation axis, and no rotation.

– With a gantry robot the gravity is upside down, so it changes many parameters for your design (for example, Niryo One doesn’t work upside down)

– Check out Grbl and Marlin firmware. Those can help you see how to actuate your robot.

– Use simple aluminum profiles for the main structure of your robot, instead of 3D printed parts. You’ll gain precision and will be able to increase the reach limit easily

BillyGo
    Participant

Vey appreciated of your comments, Edouard.

Initially, I thought about 3-axis gantry robot but there are some issues such as visual interference and potential patent infringement about my application. Thus, I try to find other solutions. At any rate, tips about main structures are really helpful for me.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.