Failed to scan Dynamixel motors, Broadcast ping failed , result : -30022018-10-23T15:21:33+00:00

Forums Niryo One Troubleshooting Failed to scan Dynamixel motors, Broadcast ping failed , result : -3002

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi
    I bought a Niryo one robot
    and i can’t get the a dynamixel motor to work.

i get this error
    [ WARN] [1540290508.758340594]: Scan to find Dxl motors
    [ WARN] [1540290509.429812620]: Broadcast ping failed , result : -3002

Anyone who knows about this?error on SSH

Error in Niryo one studio

FindingNiryo
    Participant
    Turac
    Participant

Yes i i changed disable_dxl_for_debug to true

the i stop getting the error. but that doesn’t give me a solution 🙂

and i also tried adding a # before a each motor (axis 4,5 and 6) one by one. but still get the error.

Andrea
    Participant

I had a similar issue caused by a plug not properly connected to the mainboard.

Hard to find as it was a single pin in one of the Dynamixels’ plug.

FindingNiryo
    Participant

-3002 indicates checksum error (unlikely) or time-out.

Are you running a V2 or V1 arm?  Confirm software version matches hardware version.

If none of the Dynamixel motors respond to ping, it sounds like maybe the serial bus is not connected to Raspberry Pi NiryoOne daughter board.

https://niryo.com/docs/niryo-one/assembly-guide/assemble-niryo-one/ [skip to 16:00]

Turac
    Participant

I tried checking the continuity for all the cable

i am pretty sure it runs V2.

how can i confirm software version?

When I disconnect the XL-320

I get this error “Missing Dynamixel motor(s) on the robot : Servo Axis 6,”

When I disconnect XL-430

I get this error “Failed to scan Dynamixel motors. Make sure that motors are correctly connected and powered on.”

When I disconnect XL-430 and XL-320

I get this error “Missing Dynamixel motor(s) on the robot : Servo Axis 5, Servo Axis 6,”

Edouard Renard
    Keymaster

i am pretty sure it runs V2.

how can i confirm software version?

Yes the hardware version + software version are V2. (all robots shipped after September 2018 are V2). Plus, the robot automatically detects the hardware version when starting, so if versions are not correct, you’ll get a clear error about that.

-3002 indicates checksum error (unlikely) or time-out.

Timeout would be -3001, -3002 means checksum error (see Dynamixel SDK here).

When I disconnect the XL-320

I get this error “Missing Dynamixel motor(s) on the robot : Servo Axis 6,”

When I disconnect XL-430

I get this error “Failed to scan Dynamixel motors. Make sure that motors are correctly connected and powered on.”

When I disconnect XL-430 and XL-320

I get this error “Missing Dynamixel motor(s) on the robot : Servo Axis 5, Servo Axis 6,”

There are 2 physical Dynamixel buses :

– One with Axis 4 + Axis 5

– One with Axis 6 (+ optional gripper)

(From the Raspberry Pi shield) If you disconnect them both, you should get “Failed to scan Dynamixel motors. Make sure that motors are correctly connected and powered on.”

If you disconnect only the XL-320 bus, you should get “Missing Dynamixel motor(s) on the robot : Servo Axis 6,”, and that’s normal since there is only one motor on this physical bus.

If you disconnect only the XL-430 bus, you should get “Missing Dynamixel motor(s) on the robot : Servo Axis 4, Servo Axis 5,”

This is slightly different to the result you wrote here, could you confirm that again ? I suspect the cabling is faulty. This is not the first time it happens, and we are currently working on that, to make cables and connector more robust.

Also, what is the result you get when you enable only one motor at a time (for each motor: 4, 5, 6) ?

Turac
    Participant

When I disconnect XL-430 (only the last)

When I disconnect XL-430 (only the last) and XL-320

When I disconnect XL-430 (both) and XL-320

When I disconnect only XL-430 (both) 

i tried all 3 motor on at a time, but with no change.

Edouard Renard
    Keymaster

Thanks for the detailed explanation, this helps.

That is some weird behavior. As discussed by email, we’ll send you new wires for all Dynamixel motors (and also Dynamixel XL-320 for Axis #6, just in case). Please update this post when you have made the change!

BManCan
    Participant

I am having a similar issue with motor connection errors on joints 4 and 5.  I just completed the assembly process last night (was missing a couple parts that were quickly shipped to me), and upon powering up and connecting to the local hotspot it reported a motor connection problem and the following error “Missing Dynamixel motor(s) on the robot : Servo Axis 4, Servo Axis 5”. I do not see any status or indicator lights on the XL430 servos.

I checked the connections at the controller board, harness plug connector and servo connections but did not see any obvious issues. I will need to try some continuity checks next. Maybe there are some wiring harness reliability issues with the new v2 kits.

Any guidance or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Update: it appears that my issues are related to the 6 pin black harness connector (female side) between the shoulder and elbow.  The pin sockets to not appear to be holding in place and have slid back slightly into the connector.  As a result, the connections are intermittent. I was able to check servo 4 and servo 5 by connecting directly to the controller board with separate cable and they were detected.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  BManCan.
    BManCan
    Participant

I was finally able to get the servo 4 and servo 5 motor connection errors to clear by pushing the pins on the black female plug further into the connector. I am still getting the motor connection message but it is only for servo 6 now.

I have checked the cable continuity to servo 6 and it appears to be okay, and I have also tried connecting servo 6 directly to the rpi daughter board with a short XL320 cable but it is not detected. If I plug the gripper 1 into the tool cable, then the error message changes to “failed to scan Dynamixel motors…”

Is it possible that the ID was not set correctly on my servo 6?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edouard Renard
    Keymaster

Is it possible that the ID was not set correctly on my servo 6?

Yes, in fact that would make sense, I haven’t thought about this. If this is the case, I’m really sorry that you have this problem, this should absolutely not happen from our production. I will make sure everything is triple-checked when we send robots. Also, next software update will contain some additional debug tools for motor connection and Dynamixel motor settings.

Just to be sure: when you plug the motor 6, do you see the LED blink red quickly ? If yes, that means that the motor is correctly powered on, so the issue is certainly the ID. If no, then the motor is just dead, but I’m pretty sure it isn’t.

I’ll write a quick program to test the ID of the motor and change it if necessary. I’ll send you that on your email address soon (tomorrow or monday), this will be faster than sending a new part. And if this fails, we’ll investigate further.

BManCan
    Participant

Thanks for the response. The servo LED does flash briefly red when powered on.
    I also tried updating the file (~/catkin_ws/src/niryo_one_bringup/config/v2/niryo_one_motors.yaml ) to set axis 6 to ID 1 (default) and the motor connection error disappeared. I don’t think this solves my problem.

Looking forward to resolving this issue and testing out the Niryo One.
    Hopefully you can send to me before the weekend.

Brian

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  BManCan.
    Edouard Renard
    Keymaster

You did a great job here to understand how things are working, congrats !

Did you manage to make the robot work (I mean calibrate + move) with this configuration ? (axis 6 to ID 1)

BManCan
    Participant

After changing the axis 6 to ID1 I was able to get the robot to initiate a calibration, but I believe that move commands were still not working. It seemed like this change only made the error message go away.
    I may need to change the ID for axis 6 in dxl_communication.h file as well. (#define DXL_MOTOR_6_ID 1)

I would really like to try reading and changing the ID for axis 6 if it is incorrect.

Thanks.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  BManCan.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.