initial observations after applying v2.0 software updates2018-10-05T22:56:20+00:00

Forums Niryo One Troubleshooting initial observations after applying v2.0 software updates

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello Niryo Team,

Congratulations on your official launch and updates to the software, hardware and website.

I successfully upgraded the software for Niryo One Studio, the RPI image and the stepper drivers to v2.0 and I’d like to provide some initial comments and observations.

I meant to post this message several weeks ago. I am sorry to include so many points, but rather than create a large number of individual posts, I thought it would make most sense to combine them into a single post for the time being.

Point 10 of the PROBLEMS is the most serious issue for me at this point. I will endeavor to post more detail (video, ROS logs, etc.) as a subsequent post on this thread.

As always, I would greatly appreciate any clarifications, questions, additional information, etc. you are able to provide about any of the points that I have mentioned below.

Thank you for all your hard work to publish so many updates and to get all the robots out to us. I love how the robot performs with the new 2.0 update.

NOTES:
    (1) I’ll use the acronym below NOS for the Niryo One Studio software.
    (2) In relation to point 9 of the PROBLEMS, I migrated the sequences that I created in v1.x into the /niryo_one_sequences directory on the v2.0 RPI image.

GREAT NEW STUFF
    1. NOS: new 3D view
    2. NOS: blockly window pane uses full area available
    3. NOS: ability to save positions
    4. robot: smoother movement
    5. NOS: ability to control arm speed
    6. NOS/robot: reliable manual calibration method (don’t have to periodically perform automatic calibrations)
    7. NOS: flip to learning mode, the arm doesn’t drop
    8. NOS: start a sequence while in learning mode, switches learning mode off
    9. robot: more drag on axes in learning mode
    10. NOS: ability to create MOVE POSE commands in blockly
    11. NOS: comments in blockly YEH!

PROBLEMS / WISH LIST
    1. NOS window cannot be moved on MacOS. It can be resized, but when you try to move the top left corner of or bar above the window, the cursor drags a file containing an image of Niryo One logo and creates a file on the desktop.
    2. NOS: can’t copy text and paste into other applications, e.g. error messages, source code of sequence. Cut and paste of steps inside a sequence within NOS does work.
    3. NOS: Blockly always puts newly created block on the top edge of the page — it would be more helpful if it placed the new block next in sequence of the blocks one is trying to construct.
    4. NOS: The pane under the 3D view shows the values for each of the 6 joints and the XYZ positions in m and rad, but it would also be helpful if it showed ROLL, PITCH, YAW of current position for use with the MOVE POSE command.
    5. NOS: The ability to create a saved position from current arm location by specifying MOVE POSE coordinates (not joint values).
    6. NOS: The ability to convert between MOVE POSE and MOVE JOINT values more easily after saving a position using one or other.
    7. NOS: A way to resize the panes inside BLOCKLY (3d view, stats and blockly window).
    8. NOS/robot: Robot does not complete sequence and log shows error such as “Error when processing goal” even though it has successfully completed the same sequence previously.
    9. NOS/robot: Old sequences created with v1.x software do not appear to work (e.g. the positions of the arm seem to be different in some case driving the arm into the table).
    10. robot: Arm begins to wander along joint 3 (bringing arm toward robot base) when resting in non-learning mode after completing a sequence.
    11. NOS: The ability to select multiple steps in a sequence for copy and paste (e.g. using SHIFT-<left click> or CONTROL-<left click>’).
    12. NOS: The ability to overwrite a saved sequence when you make a small change (without creating a new one with new seq ID, name and description).
    13. NOS: The ability to execute or call other sequences within a sequence so that sequences don’t become so long. May be possible to do this by defining a FUNCTION, but need some examples of how to use the FUNCTION capability in blockly.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  duck.
    FindingNiryo
    Participant

#2 Windows version allows copy & paste (work around may be through <import/export> in Blockly).

#4 Display does show roll pitch yaw (labelled as Rotation (rad) X, Y, Z).

#5 & #6 Agreed copy/paste work-around allows you to take individual current values and paste into move pose.

#8 Try inserting intermediate goal for shorter path planning.

#10 I have not seen this behavior on my V2 robot.

#11 As a work-around you can wrap code in a Blockly loop and duplicate it.

Edouard Renard
    Keymaster

Hi,

@duck Thanks for your valuable feedback and your active participation in the Niryo One community! Also I’m glad that you organized the points very well, that will make things much easier to discuss here in this thread.

@findingniryo also thank you for adding some of your observations 🙂

I’ll try to address here all the points from your problems/wish list.

Before doing that, just a clarification on your point no. 7 of the “Great new stuff”. This behavior is not due to a change in Niryo One Studio, but directly from the Niryo Stepper firmware (here’s the commit for that on github)

Let’s start 🙂

1. We have roughly tested Niryo One Studio on MacOS (we’re PC users), so we haven’t been able to test everything in depth. I’ve taken note of that and we’ll try to solve that. Maybe related to a security setup, so MacOS blocks inputs and outputs to and from the app.

(For people who read this, also note that we’ve discovered some display issues when running Niryo One Studio inside a virtual machine – tested with VirtualBox and VMware. This is an issue due to the Electron framework and we are also trying to see if we can do something about it.)

2. Same as point 1, this is an issue that only happens in MacOS. We’ll look into it.

3. Agree, and we have tried to do that previously. But the main problem is that inside Blockly (the Google library), it’s often not possible to define which block is the last block. For very simple programs it’s easy but if you add a function, or a block on the side, or anything else that adds more complexity, you can see the problem. There is a discussion somewhere on the web about that with the Blockly creator, but I can’t find it again.

For this issue we may be able to put new blocks in different places so they don’t stack on top of each other

4. As pointed by @findingniryo, the name is rotation (x,y,z). This is like that to simplify the terms for novice users. And as I can see it can confuse more advanced users 🙂

5. Note that a position is defined by a couple of joints AND pose (position + orientation). In the interface you don’t see the pose but it’s still here. I’ll add this to the features backlog though and we’ll see what we can do, so maybe you can see the pose when you save the position, so you can edit this if you want.

6. Related to point 5, the pose is also saved. If you select a position in the “ARM command”, you can choose to take the joints or pose. Same in Blockly. Let me know if you meant something different!

7. Could you precise a little bit more ?

8. This can happen for various reasons: motor not following correctly, magnet not fixed correctly. And sometimes, the software controller may have some problems dealing with trajectory, but that’s more rare. We are also looking at how to make the trajectory success rate higher, so in a future software release that may solve some of the problems.

9. We made a lot of breaking changes between V1.1 and V2.0, so it would be hard to know why the V1.1 sequences are not working correctly on V2.0. I guess you’ll have to redo them 🙁

10. This is probably due to the motor #3.

I’ve checked the max torque we give to the motor #3 for previous hardware version 1 (as I guess from your post, you have applied the V2.0 software but your robot is still hardware V1), and it seems a little bit high. That could cause the issue you have. If you can, please modify the stepper config file (link here, make sure to go in the /v1 folder). Change the “stepper_3_max_effort” param to 110 or 120, instead of 140. If that’s the issue we’ll change the value on github.

Let me know if what I say is not clear.

If it’s not working then please check if the belt is correctly tensed and the magnet correcly fixed on the motor shaft.

If still not working, I wouldn’t mind seeing a video while you are in a non-noisy environment, so I can see the axis moving and hear the sound of the motor.

11. This is a Blockly related issue, and you can see here the evolution for that (seems to be pretty hard to do). @findingniryo provided a really nice workaround here, thanks

12. Added that to the feature backlog. A workaround for now: you can export the XML of the sequence, then go back to the sequence, and edit directly the Blockly XML. Copy the exported XML into the Blockly XML field – and that’s where you have the copy/paste bug on MacOS 🙂

13. This is something we might do, but not sure. It can quickly become complex: what if you send a sequence to someone else, and that sequence depends on another sequence ? You’d have to send every sequence. Also, what if you delete a sequence that is required in another one?

Using functions is for now the best way to handle well complex programs. You can get a tutorial here.

Well, I hope this answers most of your questions 🙂 Feel free to ask for clarifications.

Thanks for the notes on the possible improvements, we’ve added them into our feature backlog and will try to implement them for the next software release (something like 2.1.0 or 2.0.1)

duck
    Participant

@findingniryo and @edouard-renard

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments and feedback about the many issues that I posted at the top of this thread. I hope to be able to post more detailed point-by-point responses soon.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.