Niryo_one Studio remote operation Shutdown Robot should reboot instead2018-10-10T17:22:55+00:00

Forums Niryo One Troubleshooting Niryo_one Studio remote operation Shutdown Robot should reboot instead

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Remote reboot would be much more useful than remote shutdown.

Edouard Renard
    Keymaster

I agree that adding a “Reboot” action could be nice. (I guess you’re talking about Niryo One Studio)

For now, if you want to reboot, you’d have to shutdown the robot, and then power off -> power on manually.

Why we didn’t add this action before is because it can be quite confusing for some people. If they press “reboot” instead of “shutdown” and the LED turns red then they might think they can power off the robot, but no because the robot is just booting. So this could lead to some corruption problems on the microSD card.Just sharing my thoughts here, let me know what you think about that. Maybe we could add a reboot action with a warning on the desktop app. Will add that to the feature backlog and think more about it.

FindingNiryo
    Participant

Perhaps the LED can go purple during reboot rather than red.  Currently as the robot starts the LED is red which could lead to the type of operator error and corruption you describe.  Reserving red status for “safe to shut down” would be a win-win.

I would like to use the robot remotely and therefore can not use the physical ON/OFF power button.

Edouard Renard
    Keymaster

Problem is that the LED can’t stay purple on reboot. The LED has a pull up resistor on its red color.

So, when no power -> LED is off

When power ON and Raspberry Pi not controlling the LED (booting or OFF) -> LED is red  (this is why we added the pull up resistor)

When Raspberry Pi controlling the LED -> whatever color we want

During shutdown -> we just ask the Raspberry Pi to make the LED purple. When the Raspberry Pi shutdowns, all GPIOs are reset to their default state (that’s something we can’t do anything about), so we go back to the LED red.

And I agree with you, that’s also a problem because on boot, we can’t directly change the color from red to another color.

Your second argument makes sense, we’ll add this feature (with a warning) on the next Niryo One Studio release

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.