plastic shavings under shoulder and motor for joint 22018-06-13T05:08:36+00:00

Forums Niryo One Troubleshooting plastic shavings under shoulder and motor for joint 2

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • duck
    Participant
    Post count: 39

    Hello Niryo team and community,

    After working out the basic demo working that I posted in the “Showcase” forum, I’m finding some black plastic shavings (see photo) on the shoulder under the motor and belt for joint 2. The shavings are also ending up on one of the top corners of the base. I have circled the two areas in the photograph where I am seeing shavings appear.

    I’m presuming that the shavings are falling from the motor and belt for joint 2; they don’t appear to be falling on the table around the base or any of the other corners of the base, but this may be due to the location of the arm during this demo and its position when the arm is raised and lowered.

    The photograph shows the extent of the shavings accumulated after running through the entire demo routine that is shown in the video in my Showcase post yesterday about 15-20 times and running the individual sequences of the routine an equal number of times in order to refine them.

    (1) Do these shavings suggest that there might be some damage occurring to the arm bottom or other parts?

    (2) Does the arm assembly need any lubrication in any locations to prevent or reduce wear? If so, what kind of lubricants are recommended and where/how should they be applied?

    (3) Should I consider disassembly of the shoulder and arm base to identify the exact source of the shavings and wear?

    I’ll continue to monitor this situation, but would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

    • This topic was modified 6 months ago by  duck.
    • This topic was modified 6 months ago by  duck.
    duck
    Participant
    Post count: 39

    Hello Niryo community,

    I would like to just give an update on the resolution of this issue.

    I hope that Edouard or someone at Niryo will reply if they have additional insights or if I have made any mistakes in my understanding or explanation.

    The problem was related to misalignment of the Arm Bottom and friction between the inner surface of the Arm Top and the Arm Bottom and the GT2 belt associated with Axis 2. The fix involved disassembling the Arm, sanding the inner surface of the Arm Top, replacing the GT2 belt and reassembling the Arm and re-tensioning the belt for Axis 2 by following the YouTube videos in the Assembly Manual.

    I am indebted to Edouard and the team at Niryo for providing me valuable support and encouragement through this work.

    I have a robot that was assembled in France before April. Edouard told me that they decided to make some modifications to the inner surface of the Arm Top when they revise the STL files so that others won’t experience similar problems (apparently no one else has reported the same issue that I have).

    As I noted in my reply today in the thread “Niryo One calibration issues”, I believe that this issue may have been exacerbated by the jostling the assembled robot received during shipment from France.

    For reference purposes, here are some photos that I took that show detail of the original issue. If your robot is properly assembled, you should be able to fit a playing card between the surfaces of the Arm Top and Arm Bottom above the stepper motor for Axis 2.

    Thank you for your support, Edouard and Marc. Happy roboting everyone!

    • This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  duck.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  duck.
    Edouard Renard
    Keymaster
    Post count: 122

    Thanks for your encouraging words!

    The problem was related to misalignment of the Arm Bottom and friction between the inner surface of the Arm Top and the Arm Bottom and the GT2 belt associated with Axis 2

    Exactly, and thanks for provdiding a way to fix that. On the future 3D printed parts that we produce (we’ll also update the STL soon on github), we have solved this issue by allowing more space between the belt and the printed parts.

    The misalignment is also another problem and mostly due to imperfections in 3D printed parts + torsion spring. We have worked on the torsion spring to make it better and find a supplier that can produce torsion spring with a lower error margin.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.